iCAM and EBM Resources
Two excellent subscription databases on iCAM modalities are here for you to use, via the UCHC Library database list.
- Natural Medicines merged with Natural Standard into one product in March 2015. Now you can search both sources at one time.
- Consumer Lab * use Internet Explorer, not Firefox
- Our drug databases Micromedex and Lexi-Comp, the comprehensive drug reference resources that UCHC library provides for your use, can be used to check for dangerous drug "Interactions" between prescription medicines and herbal supplements.
Here are some ways to limit your search efficiently in the PubMed database:
- Limit your search to only alternative, holistic or complementary medicine periodicals. To do this in PubMed, pull down the LIMITS tab and select under Journal Subset the box for Complementary Medicine or Dietary Supplements.
- Find the "best" search terms by checking your subject or keywords in the Medical Subject Headings List (MeSH).
Reviews and comparisons of efficacy of iCAM treatments can be found in the Cochrane Library. Keyword searching or MeSH terms can be used to look for comparisons of alternative treatment effectiveness and meta-analyses of allopathic versus naturopathic treatments.
Cochrane Library can also be searched by selecting from a list of the appropriate Cochrane Review Group(s).
Try these CAM Searches
Link to a few SAMPLE SEARCHES in PubMed
I saved citations from 2001 to 2012 only for these topics: