iCAM and EBM Resources
For UConn affiliates, several excellent subscription databases on iCAM modalities are available from UConn Health Library:
- Natural Medicines merged with Natural Standard in March 2015 and is now one site combining all content
- Consumer Lab* use Internet Explorer or Firefox (not Chrome)
- Micromedex and Lexicomp databases can be also be checked to find unsafe drug Interactions between prescription medicines and herbal supplements
Reviews and comparisons of efficacy of iCAM treatments can be found in the Cochrane Library database.
Keyword searching or MeSH terms can be used to look for comparisons of alternative treatment effectiveness and meta-analyses of allopathic versus naturopathic treatments.
Cochrane Library can also be searched by selecting from a list of the appropriate Cochrane Review Group(s).
Try these CAM Searches
Here are some ways to limit your search efficiently in the PubMed database:
- By using Pubmed TOPIC SPECIFIC QUERIES you can limit your literature search to only Complementary Medicine (CAM) journals or articles about Dietary Supplements.
- Then find the "best" Medical Subject Headings List (MeSH) to combine with those journal subset limiters.
Sample iCAM Searches in PubMed
I saved groups of citations from 2006 to 2016 for the following iCAM topics: